Dissent isn’t comfortable, no matter which end you’re on. But it’s essential. Companies that don’t welcome dissent are in danger of falling headlong into damaging situations that would have been avoidable—if only someone had mustered the courage to speak up.
So what should you do? How should you respond in the face of dissent? And how can you practice dissent in a way that expresses respect and care? Michael and Megan delve into these questions and more in this candid conversation, providing a treasure trove of practical tips for leveraging dissent to help your company grow.
In this episode, you’ll discover—
- Why responding to dissent by wielding the power of your position is a mistake
- What to do when you feel your physiological response to confrontation
- The reason leaders of the best teams should expect to experience dissent
- Why your level of relational capital should shape the method of your dissent
- The difference between agreement and alignment—and why it matters